Monday 13 February 2012

Well Isn't That Clever...

I'm always looking for ways to do things better, I'm kind of an efficiency dork.  I love it when somebody says "what about this way" and it's better!  So I thought I'd share some of the things I've picked up lately:

  1. Making Mashed Potatoes quicker (without buying those nasty bagged ones) :  Boil a kettle while you're chopping the potatoes, and fill the pot of potatoes with the boiling water and you will shave 10 minutes off your mashed potato time.  That's a lot for a busy mom that still wants to make 'from scratch' dinners for her family!  Credit: Jamie Oliver
  2. Parchment paper: I use that shit for EVERYTHING.  I never have to wash a cookie sheet, whether I've roasted potatoes, veggies, cooked bacon - it's awesome. Credit: Aunty Cathy  
  3. Speaking of bacon-line a cookie sheet with parchment, throw your strips on, and put your oven on 400.  Voila! Bacon in 10 minutes.  Let the parchment cool, and crunch it up and throw it in the compost/trash/whatever you do with your food scraps.  Wicked fast, perfect bacon strips with no mess.  Credit:  Marc & Andrea
  4. Got pets?  Invest in a rubber broom.  FlyLady has one here that is super awesome.  It doesn't make the hair fly around, but gathers it all up into a nice pile so you can just suck it up quick with a vacuum.  I love my dogs, but I hate hate hate all the hair.  This helps keep the floors decent without having to lug the big rig Dyson out twice a day.  Credit: Well duh, FlyLady!
  5. Getting an overwhelming housework/organizing job started:  If you're anything like me, every once in a while the house gets away from you and you just don't know where to start, so you don't.  I get a teensy bit overcome with anxiety when I feel overwhelmed by my house, but once again - FlyLady to the rescue.  Her lists and tricks and common-sense approach to tackling big messes little bits at a time really help take the anxiety of of a very messy house.  Even if your house isn't that messy, there's still lots of useful stuff on her site.  I'm a fan, in case you didn't know.
Aren't those clever ideas?  Wish I could take credit for them, but the people I know who read this blog know that they gave me the ideas and that would probably piss them off and make me look like an ass, so I will give credit where credit is due.

Sweet dreams,
Tara :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment